No products in the cart.
When you’re in the mood for a meaty, savoury comfort-food classic dish, Portuguese shepherd’s pie – known as Empadão – is the go-to recipe!
– 2 lbs ground beef
– 10 medium potatoes or 1 box of mashed potatoes
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 bell pepper, chopped
– 1-2 cups vegetables—diced carrots, peas, corn
– 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
– 1 tablespoon of hot pimento paste
– 1 teaspoon of black pepper
– 1 tablespoon of paprika
– 1 teaspoon of mustard
– 1 tablespoon of salt
– 3 tablespoons of olive oil
– 1 cube chicken or beef knorr
-1/4 cup of red wine
– 1 egg
- Boil the potatoes: Place the peeled and quartered potatoes in medium sized pot. Cover with at least an inch of cold water. Add a teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until tender (about 20 minutes). When the potatoes are done cooking (a fork can easily pierce), remove them from the pot and place them in a bowl with the remaining 4 Tbsp of butter. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and season with salt and pepper to taste. OR use the box of mashed potatoes and follow the instructions.
- While the potatoes are cooking, over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, garlic, bell pepper to a medium pot and cook for a few minutes. Add the vegetables and sauté for a few more minutes. Add tomato paste, hot pimento paste, mustard, knorr cube, paprika, black pepper, wine, salt and finally the ground beef, stir well and let it cook for 15 minutes or until cooked, and remove from heat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Get a medium casserole dish, grease it with olive oil.
- Add a layer of mashed potatoes, than a layer with all the cooked ground beef, than top it off with the remaining mash potatoes, brush the egg wash over the mashed potatoes, cook for 30 minutes, let it cool for a bit and serve.