No products in the cart.
Easy, quick, authentic “carne asada” street tacos you can now make at home! So good!
- 1 1/2 tbsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp All Spice powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp onion powder or garlic powder or 1 tsp of each
- 1 tsp salt and pepper, each
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5kg beef chuck, cut into 4 pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced (yellow, brown or white)
- 185 ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 500 ml beef or chicken broth/stock
- 125ml water
- Salt and pepper
- Combine the Spice Mix ingredients in a bowl. Sprinkle 4 teaspoons over the beef and pat so it sticks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy based pot over high heat. Add the beef and brown well on all sides. Remove onto a plate.
- Turn the stove down to medium. If the pot looks dry, add more olive oil.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the orange juice and lime juice, and scrape the bottom of the pot so the brown bits mix into the liquid.
- Add tomato, beef stock, water and remaining spice mix. Mix, then return beef into pot.
- Put the lid on, bring to a simmer then turn the stove down so it is bubbling gently, not rapidly.
- Cook for 2 hours, then remove lid and simmer for another 30 minutes until beef is tender enough to shred.
- Remove the beef from sauce, shred with 2 forks.
- Leave the sauce to simmer with the lid off for 10 to 15 minutes to reduce and thicken to your taste. Adjust salt to taste.
- Toss beef back into the sauce.
- Transfer beef into large dish.
- To make the tacos, serve the beef with warmed small tortillas, avocado slices, Pico de Gallo, shredded cheese, sour cream, cherry tomatoes, lime wedges and extra cilantro/coriander leaves.