No products in the cart.
Great for busy weeknight dinners and delicious for lunch.
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons jarred grated horseradish (with liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hot sauce
- 6 slices of bread
- 12 slices vine-ripened tomatoes
- 24 ounces freshly sliced rare roast beef
- 3 loosely packed cups lettuce, watercress or arugula, or a combination of both
- In a small bowl, mix together the onion and 1 tablespoon of the salt. Set aside for 20 minutes. Rinse the onions with cold running water. Drain and squeeze to remove excess liquid. Combine the onions and the vinegar and marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, zest, and 2 teaspoons salt. Season generously with pepper and hot sauce to taste. Refrigerate the horseradish sauce for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Toast the bread under the broiler for about 1 minute. Slather the inside of the slice with the horseradish sauce. On each slice, layer 2 tomato slices and season with salt and pepper to taste. Top the tomatoes with some of the roast beef overlapped into “ruffles” and season with salt and pepper. Top the meat with some of the onions, lettuce and watercress and cover with the other slices of bread. Serve immediately.