No products in the cart.
- 3½ to 4 cups flour (as needed)
- ½ cup of warm water + 2 tablespoons
- ½ ounce dry yeast or two
- ¼ ounces packages dry yeast
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon of water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil or melted butter
- 1 cup of grated cheese1
- ½ pounds of presunto (thinly sliced)
- Egg wash made with 1 egg beaten and 1 tablespoon of water
- Dissolve yeast in the warm water, letting it stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix 3 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl, make a hole in the middle of the flour and pour the lightly beaten eggs into it, as well as the 2 tablespoons of water, the yeast and the olive oil. Knead the dough for 10 minutes while adding enough of the remaining flour until the dough is not sticky or loose.
- Shape into a ball, give it a light dusting with flour, cover with a towel and leave it in a warm spot so it can rise to about double the size.
- Use a knife to divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Stretch or roll out each part on a lightly floured work surface, to about 6- by 8-inch rectangle.
- Spread slices of the presunto over, leaving a 1-inch border all around.
- Add the grated cheese at this time with the long edge facing you, roll it like a jellyroll and pinch the edges to seal them.
- Place the 4 rolls on a lightly floured surface or on individual sheets of parchment paper.
- Cover with a towel and let it rest for about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Bake them on a lightly oiled sheet pan at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Recipe: Maria Maia