No products in the cart.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add beef and sauté until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add beef stock, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes.
- Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat.
- Transfer stew to serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.