No products in the cart.
Chase away the cold with this flavourful crock pot beef stew!
- 2 strips bacon (thick)
- 1 1/2 pounds beef chuck (stewing beef)
- 1 large onion
- 2 cups beef broth (preferably low sodium)
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice (not vinegar)
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (about 5 or 6 medium potatoes), diced
- 2 medium carrots (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 2 ribs celery (thinly sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups diced rutabaga
- 1 large bay leaf (dried)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (crumbled)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- Kosher salt (if needed, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- Dice the bacon into small pieces.
- Cut the beef into 1-inch pieces. Chop the onion.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add the bacon; cook until the fat has rendered and it is almost crisp. With a slotted spatula, remove the bacon to paper towels.
- To the bacon drippings, add the beef cubes and onions. Cook, stirring, until the beef is browned on all sides and the onion is softened.
- Transfer the beef mixture to the slow cooker along with the bacon; add the beef broth, apple cider, potatoes, carrots, celery, rutabaga, bay leaf, rosemary, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Taste and add salt, if needed. This depends on how salty your beef broth was.
- Combine the flour with cold water to form a smooth mixture. Stir into the beef mixture, turn to HIGH, and continue cooking for 15 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle servings with fresh chopped parsley.