No products in the cart.
The Francesinha (meaning ”Little Frenchie” in Portuguese) is Portugal’s decadent answer to the croque-madame.
It’s a huge meat-filled monster topped with egg and cheese, smothered in a beer-based sauce,
and always served with French fries.
- 2 slices of white bread
- 2 slices of smoked ham
- 4 slices of cheese
- 1 grilled sausage
- 1 fried or roasted slice of beef
- 1 egg
- 1 beer
- 1 cube of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp concentrated tomato paste
- 1/4 cup brandy or Port
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- chilli flakes to taste
- salt (if needed)
- Dissolve cornstarch into the milk and add all the ingredients. Blend the liquid mix on a food processor.
- Put it into a pan over low heat and add the bay leaves. Stir it until it starts to boil. It’s ready – reserve.
- Assemble the sandwich and save 2 slices of cheese.
- Put the sandwich on a plate and place the 2 slices of cheese on top.
- Fry the egg and top the sandwich with it. Cover with the remaining cheese.
- Pour the sauce over the sandwich (should be hot, so the cheese melts).
By: Dores Matos