No products in the cart.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more for serving
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage, sliced ¾-inch thick
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 pound dried Great Northern beans, rinsed and picked through
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 large rosemary sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, more for serving
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add the tomato paste and cumin to the pot. Cook, stirring, until dark golden, about 2 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the beans, 8 cups water, salt, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the beans are tender, about 2 hours, adding more water if needed to make sure the beans remain submerged.
- When the beans are tender, return the sausage to the pot. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning. Ladle into warm bowls and serve drizzled with additional vinegar and olive oil.