No products in the cart.
This healthy basic beef chili recipe is well worth
doubling so you can throw a batch in the freezer.
Serve topped with diced red onion, sliced scallions,
shredded cheese and your favorite hot sauce. (by R. Walsh)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% or leaner)
- 1 cup water
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 15 minutes. Add beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 7 to 8 minutes. Add water, tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, bay leaves, chili powder, cumin, vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne; stir well to combine. Cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Stir in beans and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes more. Remove bay leaves before serving.